Manthiram, Arumugam, Ph.D.
Director, Texas Materials Institute
Director, Materials Science and Engineering Program
Joe C. Walter Chair in Engineering
|Office:||ETC 9.104||Mailing Address:|
|Phone:||(512) 471-1791||The University of Texas at Austin|
|Fax:||—||McKetta Department of Chemical Engineering|
|Email:||email@example.com||200 E Dean Keeton St. Stop C0400|
|UT Mail:||C0400||Austin, TX 78712-1589|
Research Areas: Advanced Materials, Polymers & Nanotechnology and Energy
Ph.D.,Chemistry, Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, India (1980)
M.S.,Chemistry, Madurai University, Madurai, India (1976)
B.S.,Chemistry, Madurai University, Madurai, India (1974)
The primary focus of our research is the design and development of low cost, more efficient materials that can facilitate widespead commercialization of clean energy technologies such as fuel cells, solar cells, high energy density batteries, and supercapacitors to address the world’s energy and environmental challenges. Our research encompasses a broad range of activities including design of new materials based on basic chemistry and physics concepts, novel chemical synthesis and processing, advanced materials characterization, physical and chemical property measurements, fabrication and evaluation of prototype devices, and a fundamental understanding of the structure-property-performance relationships of materials. Some of the current research activities are briefly outlined below.
Awards & Honors
Outstanding Teaching in Mechanical Engineering Award (2011)
Joe C. Walter Chair in Engineering (2009)
Jack S. Josey Professorship in Energy Studies, University of Texas at Austin (2008)
BFGoodrich Endowed Professorship in Materials Engineering, University of Texas at Austin ( 2006)
Founding Fellow, World Academy of Materials and Manufacturing Engineering (2006)
Fellow, American Ceramic Society (2004)
Ashley H. Priddy Centennial Professorship in Engineering, University of Texas at Austin ( 2002)
Charlotte Maer Patton Centennial Fellowship in Engineering, University of Texas at Austin (1998)
Faculty Leadership Award, University of Texas at Austin (1996)
Faculty Excellence Award of Halliburton Foundation, University of Texas at Austin (1994)
- A. Murthy and A. Manthiram, “Electrocatalytic Oxidation of Methanol to Soluble Products on Polycrystalline Platinum: Application of Convolution Potential Sweep Voltammetry in the Estimation of Kinetic Parameters,” Electrochimica Acta 56, 6078-6083 (2011).
- E. S. Lee and A. Manthiram, “High Capacity Li[Li0.2Mn0.54 Ni0.13Co0.13]O2 – VO2(B) Composite Cathodes with Controlled Irreversible Capacity Loss for Lithium-ion Batteries,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society 158, A47-A50 (2011).
- J. Zhao and A. Manthiram, “In-situ Electrochemical Characterization of Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells Fabricated with Pd-Pt-Ni Cathode Catalysts,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 158, B208-B214 (2011).
- J. Zhao and A. Manthiram, “Preleached Pd–Pt–Ni and Binary Pd–Pt Electrocatalysts for Oxygen Reduction Reaction in Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells,” Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 101, 660-668 (2011).
- A. Murthy and A. Manthiram, “Direct Kinetic Evidence for the Electronic Effect of Ruthenium in PtRu on the Dissociative Adsorption of Methanol,” Electrochemistry Communications, 13, 310-313 (2011).
- E. Lee, A. Murthy, and A. Manthiram, “Carbon-supported Pt Nanoparticles Prepared by a Modified Borohydride Reduction Method: Effect on the Particle Morphology and Catalytic Activity for COad and Methanol Electro-oxidation,” Electrochemistry Communications 13, 480-483 (2011).
- S. Yoon and A. Manthiram, “Hollow Core-Shell Mesoporous TiO2 Spheres for Lithium Ion Storage,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C 115, 9410-9416 (2011).
- J. Zhao, K. Jarvis, P. J. Ferreira, and A. Manthiram, “Performance and Stability of Pd–Pt–Ni Nanoalloy Electrocatalysts in Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells,” Journal of Power Sources 196, 4515-4523 (2011).
- J.-H. Kim, K.-T. Lee, Y. N. Kim, and A. Manthiram, “Crystal Chemistry and Electrochemical Properties of Ln(Sr,Ca)3(Fe,Co)3O10 Intergrowth Oxide Cathodes for Solid Oxide Fuel Cells,” Journal of Materials Chemistry21, 2482-2488 (2011).
- S. Yoon and A. Manthiram, “Nanostructured Sn-Ti-C Composite Anodes for Lithium Ion Batteries,” Electrochimica Acta 56, 3029-3035 (2011).
- Y.-N. Kim and A. Manthiram, “Layered LnBaCo2-xCuxO5+d (0 ≤ x ≤ 1.0) Perovskite Cathodes for Intermediate-Temperature Solid Oxides Fuel Cells,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society 158, B276-B282 (2011).