Willson, Grant Ph.D.
Rashid Engineering Regents Chair
|Office:||WEL 5.240||Mailing Address:|
|Phone:||(512) 471-4342||The University of Texas at Austin|
|Fax:||—||Department of Chemical Engineering|
|Email:||email@example.com||200 E Dean Keeton St. Stop C0400|
|UT Mail:||C0400||Austin, TX 78712-1589|
Research Areas: Advanced Materials, Polymers & Nanotechnology, Modeling & Simulation and Process Engineering
Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley (1973)
M.S., San Diego State University (1969)
B.S., University of California, Berkeley (1962)
Polymers, materials, and processes for microelectronics, photoresists, liquid crystals, computer simulation, mass transport studies, kinetics, graft polymerization, biosensor arrays, novel processes for producing nanometer scale structures
Our research projects are chosen to provide students with an interesting, challenging, and important interdisciplinary problem that will produce new and useful knowledge. The projects are also designed to provide a framework in which graduate students learn to design and carry out experiments and to report the results of their work in written and oral form. We strive to provide students with the opportunity to participate in collaborations with other students and other institutions and to thereby gain research team work experience.
You are encouraged to visit our group web page. This page is the best source of detailed information about the research group and current projects.
Awards & Honors
Elected SPIE Fellow (2007)
SEMI North America Award (2007)
TeaChE 2006 Teaching Excellence Award in Chemical Engineering (2006)
AIChE Arthur DeHon Award (2005)
AIChE Arthur DeHon Award (2005)
ACS Award in Applied Polymer Science (2005)
Fritz Zernike Award, SPIE 2005 (2005)
ACS Heroes in Chemistry Award (2005)
Fellow of the PMSE Division of ACS (2000)
National Academy of Sciences Award for Chemistry in Service to Society (1999)
Malcolm E. Pruitt Award (1999)
SRC Aristotle Award (1998)
SRC Technical Excellence Award (1996)
Alumnus of the Year, San Diego State University (1993)
ACS Cooperative Research Award in Polymer Science (1993)
ACS Carothers Awards (1992)
Elected to National Academy of Engineering (1992)
ACS Award in the Chemistry of Materials (1991)
Alexander von Humboldt Senior Scientist Award, FRG (1988)
A.D. Doolittle Award, PMSE Division of ACS (1986)
IBM Fellow (1985)
- Hayes, Colin O., Peng-hao Chen, R. Paxton Thedford, Christopher J. Ellison, Guangbin Dong, and C. Grant Willson “Effect of Ring Functionalization on the Reaction Temperature of Benzocyclobutene Thermoset Polymers.” Macromolecules (2016).
- Sirard, Stephen, Laurent Aza, William Durand, Michael Maher, Kazunori Mori, Gregory Blachut, Dustin Janes, Yusuke Asano, Yasunobu Someya, Diane Hymes, David Graves, Chris Ellison and Grant Willson “Plasma Etch of Block Copolymers for Lithography.” SPIE 15 April 2 (2016).
- Tsai, Hsinyu, Hiroyuki Miyazoe, Ankit Vora, Teddie Magbitang, Noel Arellano, Chi-Chun Liu, Michael J. Maher, William J. Durand, Simon J. Dawes, James J. Bucchignano, Lynne Gignac, Daniel P. Sanders, Eric A. Joseph, Matthew E. Colburn, C. Grant Willson, Christopher J. Ellison, Michael A. Guillorn “High chi block copolymer DSA to improve pattern quality for FinFET device fabrication.” SPIE Advanced Lithography. International Society for Optics and Photonics (2016).
- Stephen Sirard, Laurent Azarnouche, Emir Gurer, William Durand, Michael Maher, Kazunori Mori, Gregory Blachut, Dustin Janes, Yusuke Asano, Yasunobu Someya, Diane Hymes, David Graves, Christopher J. Ellison, C. Grant Willson”Interactions between plasma and block copolymers used in directed self-assembly patterning.” SPIE Advanced Lithography. International Society for Optics and Photonics (2016).
- Austin P. Lane, Michael J. Maher, C. Grant Willson, and Christopher J. Ellison “Photopatterning of Block Copolymer Thin Films.” ACS Macro Letters 5(4) 460-465 (2016).
- Maher, Michael J., Kazunori Mori, Stephen M. Sirard, Andrew M. Dinhobl, Christopher M. Bates, Emir Gurer, Gregory Blachut, Austin P. Lane, William J. Durand, Matthew C. Carlson, Jeffrey R. Strahan, Christopher J. Ellison, and C. Grant Willson “Pattern Transfer of Sub-10 nm Features via Tin-Containing Block Copolymers.” ACS Macro Letters 5(3) 391-395 (2016).
- Sunday, Daniel, Maher, Michael, Blachut, Gregory, Asano, Yusuke, Tein, Summer, Willson, C. Grant, Ellison, Christopher, Kline, R. Joseph “Characterizing the interfaces of block copolymers with high chi.” APS Meeting Abstracts (March, 2016).
- Wang, Xiaohan, Chou, Harry, Tao, Li, Dick, Andrew, Dolocan, Andrei, Akinwande, Deji, Willson, C. Grant “Direct observation of PMMA removal from graphene surface.” APS Meeting Abstracts (March, 2016).
- Durand, William J., Matthew C. Carlson, Michael J. Maher, Gregory Blachut, Logan J. Santos, Summer Tein, Venkat Ganesan, Christopher J. Ellison, and C. Grant Willson “Experimental and Modeling Study of Domain Orientation in Confined Block Copolymer Thin Films.” Macromolecules 49(1) 308-316 (2015).
- Pandav, Gunja, William J. Durand, Christopher J. Ellison, C. Grant Willson and Venkat Ganesan “Directed self assembly of block copolymers using chemical patterns with sidewall guiding lines, backfilled with random copolymer brushes.” Soft matter 11(47) 9107-9114 (2015).
- Hayes, Colin O., Brennen K. Mueller, Philip Liu, William K. Bell, Jared M. Schwartz, R. Paxton Thedford, Paul A. Kohl, C. Grant Willson “Directly patternable benzocyclobutene and methacrylate silsesquioxanes for microelectronics packaging.” Journal of the Ceramic Society of Japan 123(1441) 800-804 (2015).
- Hayes, Colin O., William K. Bell, Benjamin R. Cassidy, and C. Grant Willson “Synthesis and Characterization of a Two Stage, Nonlinear Photobase Generator.” The Journal of Organic Chemistry 80(15) 7530-7535 (2015).
- Julia Cushen, Lei Wan, Gregory Blachut, Michael J. Maher, Thomas R. Albrecht, Christopher J. Ellison, C. Grant Willson, and Ricardo Ruiz “Double-Patterned Sidewall Directed Self-Assembly and Pattern Transfer of Sub-10 nm PTMSS-b-PMOST.” ACS applied materials & interfaces 7(24) 13476-13483 (2015).
- Bates, Christopher M. ; Maher, Michael J.; Janes, Dustin W.; Ellison, Christopher J.; Willson, C. Grant “Block copolymer lithography,” Macromolecules 47(1) 2-12 (2014).
- Deschner, Ryan ; Tang, Hao; Allen, Peter; Hall, Cecilia; Hlis, Rocco; Ellington, Andrew; Willson, C. Grant “Progress Report on the Generation of Polyfunctional Microscale Particles for Programmed Self-Assembly,” Chemistry of Materials 26(3) 1457-1462 (2014).
- Maher, Michael J. ; Bates, Christopher M.; Blachut, Gregory; Sirard, Stephen; Self, Jeffrey L.; Carlson, Matthew C.; Dean, Leon M.; Cushen, Julia D.; et al. “Interfacial Design for Block Copolymer Thin Films,” Chemistry of Materials 26(3) 1471-1479 (2014).
- Takei, Satoshi ; Ogawa, Tsuyoshi; Deschner, Ryan; Willson, Carlton Grant “Reduction of pattern peeling in step-and-flash imprint lithography,” Microelectronic Engineering 116 44-50 (2014).
- Zhai, Yujia ; Mathew, Leo; Raob, Rajesh; Sreenivasan, S. V.; Willson, C. Grant; Banerjee, Sanjay K. “Vertical finFET with Salicide Contact for Potential Power Applications,” ECS Journal of Solid State Science and Technology 3(10) (2014).