Students entering the McKetta undergraduate chemical engineering program are required to have a laptop at their disposal. Laptops do not need to be brought to campus on a daily basis, but individual instructors may require that a laptop be brought to class or lab sessions.
The list of minimum system requirements are provided here for students buying new laptops:
A Windows based laptop is highly encouraged, but a Mac may be modified to provide some functionality.
- Note: some engineering applications only run in a Windows environment.If a Mac is purchased, it will need to be configured for booting into Windows such as Boot Camp, Parallels Desktop, VMware Fusion or VirtualBox. Chemical Engineering IT Staff cannot provide support, so you will be responsible for ensuring your Mac is configured properly. However some applications will run on a Mac and you may also use a Mac to connect to the Virtual LRC and run other software, e.g., Aspen.
- Windows – Windows 10
- Minimum – 250 GB of storage
- Recommended – 500 GB of storage or higher
- Microsoft Office
- Virus protection software required
- Microsoft Updates Your laptop must be updated to the most current patch level before connecting to the campus network. Configure this through your control panel.
Updated: July 3, 2019